We currently have far more users who have posted an answer or a question than have ever voted, despite voting being easier and less time consuming than contributing a question/answer.
If we want this site to succeed, we should give more emphasis to voting as often as we can (both on questions and answers), because:
- It helps to surface the best content and gives new visitors an indication of the quality of the content they are looking at.
- It encourages users who are posting (or considering posting) their first few answers to the site by rewarding their time spent doing so.
- It encourages multiple answers to a question. With EE as with everything TMTOWTDI applies in spades. Second/third/fourth answers often bring useful input or different approaches that enrich the overall quality of the site no end.
- Whilst we're in beta, all privileges have a lower threshold than after launch. More votes means more users with the privileges for stuff like moderation and tag wiki edits, which in turn means that workload can be spread more evenly makinf for better/faster moderation + approval of edits etc.
Use your conscience/judgement of course - I'm not advocating voting just for the sake of it, but if a post is good, please vote for it (particularly on questions, as these are often from newer users). It's easy to do and you'll be helping to make this a better place.
So to make this into a question rather than just an observation and an exhortation: how do we communicate the importance of voting and encourage people to do it?
PS You might not know that...
- You can vote up to 40 times per day
- You can upvote more than one answer to a question
Voting makes you more attractive to the opposite sex